We’re on a cookie baking roll! And, we love enjoying all of our NECCO candies so much that we just love to incorporate them into as many recipes as we can.
Today’s recipe brings you a warm, chewy treat that you’ll love to share! These cookies are topped with Haviland Nonpareils, one of our fans’ favorite theater and snack time sweets. So grab a glass of milk or a mug of coffee or hot chocolate and settle down with some friends and family to indulge on these delectable desserts!
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 and ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup (16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & ½ cups of bread flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 oz of milk
- 1 Box (or more!) of Haviland Nonpareils (in our photos we have colorful Nonpareils as we used our seasonal Easter Haviland Nonpareils)
- parchment paper
- 1 or 2 flat cookie pans/sheets (depending on size of oven)
- 1 large and 2 medium mixing bowls
- mixer (stand or hand)
- measuring cup
- 1/2 tsp , 1 tsp, and 1 Tbsp measuring spoons
- Begin by pre-heating the oven for 350°F or slightly warmer to 375°F depending on the size and strength of your oven.
- In the medium sized mixing bowl, gently mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt, using the whisk. Set aside.
- In the large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar together at medium speed with a mixer until well blended.
- Beat together the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and milk until completely combined in the second medium mixing bowl.
- Add the mixture in the second medium mixing bowl to the butter/sugar mixture in the large one. Use the mixer to blend until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually add the dry mixture from the first medium mixing bowl into the large mixing bowl and use the mixer to blend completely until you have a light fluffy mixture.
- It’s often best to chill the dough for 30 minutes to an hour before you begin baking, but this is optional.
- Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into golf ball or slightly larger sized balls and place onto the sheet at least 2-3 inches apart. Tip: we also like to sprinkle a little extra sugar on top as well, as shown below. =)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, paying attention not to burn the cookies. Remove from oven when they are golden brown around the edges.
- Once removed from oven, take one Haviland Nonpareil and place it on top of each ball of dough and press down slightly so it sinks into the warm dough and begins to flatten the cookie.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and then move cookies onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Indulge! =)
Cookies can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.