As we all know, we are right in the thick of the holiday season. It’s a crazy time spent rushing around to get everything done before the holiday celebrations and the chaos of the end of the year. The same can be said for us at NECCO, and on top of that, we’re even getting started on the Sweethearts rush of Valentine’s Day! Even though we are busy as can be, we couldn’t resist the chance to decorate our offices and spread some happy holiday cheer! Take a look at our festive Christmas decorations, many that we made using the wrappers from our candies! Check out our Candy Buttons garland & candy ornaments! Too much fun not to share with you all; we just love this wonderful time of year! =)
Inspired by the adorable little turkeys over at Clean & Scentsible, we couldn’t resist putting a slight NECCO spin on this awesome craft. While we love the Christmas season as much as everyone else, it’s a can’t miss when we get the opportunity to spotlight Thanksgiving! It’s such a special time spent making memories with loved ones, and of course, eating delicious homecooked food – simply the best!
These cute turkeys will make the perfect favor for your holiday guests, and they undoubtedly will delight all the little ones! Filled with our chocolaty Mighty Malts malted milk balls, there’s no doubt they will add the perfectly sweet crunch to your dessert table on Thanksgiving Day!
- soft mesh craft netting
- elastic band or festively colored ribbon
- squeeze glue (glue sticks don’t work too well here)
- pipe cleaners in festive autumn colors (brown, orange, yellow, red)
- googly eyes (you pick the size!)
- Mighty Malts Malted Milk Balls
Instructions (modified slightly from Clean & Scentsible):
- Cut a circle or square from the mesh netting. Place a pile Mighty Malts in the center, tying it closed together like a sack with the elastic band or ribbon.
- To make the feet, take your yellow (we used a glittered golden one here to match the head) and fold it in half. Use one of the halves to create the foot by bending it into three equal-length toes. Cut the other end of the leg to your desired length.
- Insert the legs into the body through the holes of the mesh. They will be secure, and you can adjust the length even more here by pushing the legs in or pulling them out more.
- Take your darkest pipe cleaner (brown or here we used a glittered golden one) and roll it up from one end, leaving a few inches flat and unrolled. This will be the turkey’s head.
- Cut a one inch piece of orange for the beak and a one inch piece of red for the wattle. Bend each of these in half over the outside wrap of the head. You can adjust their length by cutting the ends with your scissors. It works best to twist these pieces once you bent them over the head, helping them to stay in place.
- Glue a googly eye on each side of the head using the squeeze glue. Press tightly until they stay in place.
- Set these on your dessert table and get ready for some big Thanksgiving smiles! Enjoy! =)
Back in October, we had the honor to sponsor the Prudential Center of Boston’s 20th Annual PRU BOO event! It was a wonderful day filled with trick or treating, crafts, games, singing and more for the local children of the greater Boston community. All proceeds from the event (which amazingly amounted to over $4500!!) went to benefit the Catching Joy charity of Boston, a charity whose mission it is to promote volunteerism beginning with young children and their families. They organize hands-on activities that kids can do to let them feel the joy of giving.
Overall, it was an amazing day as always filled with laughter and endless smiles. Click here to see just some of the spooky fun from the day on the Prudential Center’s Facebook Album!
In addition to sponsoring the event and providing the candy for all the little trick or treaters, we also were lucky enough to also have a craft table where kids could come spend some time making fun crafts with NECCO candies! As in the past few years, we had a coloring and craft station where kids were able to make two of our Halloween crafts: Mini Clark Bar Spiders and Slap Stix Ghosts! Check out a few of the creepy creations the children made at our fun craft table!
PRU BOO 2014 was a fun day and definitely a great success; we already can’t wait for PRU BOO 2015!
October is over, and Halloween has passed. Over the month, we had so much fun with festive movies, ghost stories, parties, outdoor activities, and of course, eating lots and lots of delicious candy on Halloween. Before we move onto the excitement of the upcoming holidays, we wanted to share one last craft we created this past month: mini Clark Bar spiders!
These little treats were a hit during the Halloween season, but they can also be used for parties throughout the year as a cute little creepy favor or a fun DIY craft project for your little ones!
- googly eyes
- glue stick
- black or red pipe cleaners
- Clark Bar Jr.
- Take a full length pipe cleaner and wrap it around the Clark Jr. tying a single knot on the top of the candy bar.
- Leave enough length of the pipe cleaner on both sides of the bar to create legs on each side.
- Wrap three more pipe cleaners around in the same fashion.
- Bend the pipe cleaners to make knees and feet as you see fit!
- Glue on some googly eyes and for some spooky fun!
In celebration of Halloween, NECCO will be having a special opening of their candy store at their Revere, MA world headquarters! It will be packed with all the classic treats, like NECCO Wafers, Sky Bars, Clark Bars, and Haviland Thin Mints, and also feature an assortment of our Halloween treats such as Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses, Zombie Food, Sweethearts Mummy Hearts and NECCO Bat Wing Wafers!
Be sure to swing by if you’re in the area and stock up on some sweets for the trick-or-treaters this Friday! [And for a well-deserved treat for yourself, of course! ;-) ]
DATES & TIME:
Monday October 27th – Thursday October 30th: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday October 31st: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
135 American Legion Highway, Revere, MA